2Q22 Results: Revenue Jumps 44.1% Y/Y with Growing PyroThin Demand; Net Loss Widens to $24.1 Million
|52 Week Range||$7.93-$65.99|
|Avg. Daily Vol. (30 day)||2,207,000|
|Shares Out (MM)||36.08|
|Market Cap (MM)||$404.10|
|Enterprise Value ($MM)||$299.57|
|Revenue TTM (MM)||$145.86|
|Fiscal Year End||December|
- Revenue grew 44.1% Y/Y and 18.8% Q/Q to $45.6 million, driven by increasing market adoption of the company’s PyroThin thermal barriers in the EV market and healthy growth in the energy and industrial infrastructure. Complete results can be accessed here.
- Management reiterated its growth targets of 2x revenue from 2021 to 2023 and 3x from 2023 to 2025 to approximately $720 million. Aspen expects to become cash flow positive in 2024.
- PyroThin thermal barrier revenue increased ~42% Q/Q to $10.8 million (23.5% of total revenue). Energy industrial revenue accounted for the balance share at $34.8 million, growing at ~13% sequentially.
- Aspen forecasts a threefold rise in thermal barrier revenues in 2022 (from $18 million to $52-62 million), driven by orders from GM and Toyota. By 2025, it expects this avenue to account for 75% of total revenue.
- Net loss increased by $17.4 million Y/Y to $24.1 million or $0.68 per share, while adjusted EBITDA loss widened by $14.9 million Y/Y to $18.3 million, as the company increased opex investments in personnel, infrastructure, and related activities to support its PyroThin thermal barrier and battery materials businesses.
- Aspen ended the quarter with $162.2 million in cash and incurred a capital expenditure of $37.9 million in 2Q for R&D and IT facility upgrades, Plant 2 construction, and PyroThin fabrication tooling in Mexico (shipped first production parts from Mexico assembly facility).
- Development of Plant 2 is on track as the company aims to complete the first phase in late 2023. Upon completing the second phase, it expects to generate $1.6 billion in revenue, 35% in gross profit, and 25% in EBITDA margins across both the plants.
- Aspen’s full-year 2022 outlook remains unchanged, with total revenue expected at $180-200 million, net loss at $79.8-86.8 million, adjusted EBITDA at $(55.0)-(62.0) million, and net loss per share at $2.16-2.35.
- Our prior content on Aspen can be accessed here.
Revenue grew 44.1% Y/Y and 18.8% Q/Q to $45.6 million, driven by increasing market adoption of the company’s PyroThin thermal barriers in the EV market and healthy growth in the energy and industrial infrastructure. Complete results can be accessed here.
Water Tower Research (“WTR”) is a professional publisher of investment research reports on public companies and, to a lesser extent, private firms (“the Companies”). WTR provides investor-focused content and digital distribution strategies designed to help companies communicate with investors.
WTR is not a registered investment adviser or a broker/dealer nor does WTR provide investment banking services. WTR operates as an exempt investment adviser under the so called “publishers’ exemption” from the definition of investment adviser under Section 202(a)(11) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. WTR does not provide investment ratings / recommendations or price targets on the companies it reports on. Readers are advised that the research reports are published and provided solely for informational purposes and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities or the rendering of investment advice. The information p...